Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Able-Bodied

I was recently asked which part of my identity identifies me the most out of ability, gender, and age. I could not believe the three were even in the same category.

Obviously, ability is most important to me. No matter what other identities you may have or even set backs you may face, your ability is something you can control. When I am able to do something, it increases my life experience, unlike superficial labels like age and gender. See, the issue with labeling yourself with age and gender is that they can hold you back. That is why I do not actively think of myself as a 22-year-old woman (although I know I am), but I think of myself as an able-bodied person. That is why I have no problem leading a 40-year-old man or 26-year-old woman in my work; I believe in my abilities and the fact that I can lead those people regardless of age or gender.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Brad Green on the GenZ Podcast

Listen to this exciting GenZ Podcast interview with restauranteur, Brad Green. Learn more about Brad Green at MrBradGreen.com . Filed und...