Saturday, October 29, 2016

Interview with Dorsey Ross

You know how sometimes you see someone speak and just know they are doing great things? Well, that is Dorsey Ross. I watched this video and was immediately awe-struck by what an incredible individual he is...



That is why it was such a pleasure to be able to interview him on my blog. Read the full interview below...

Hi, Dorsey! It is such a pleasure to interview you. Let's start with your book. Tell me about it and what lead you to write it.

My Book Overcomer: Discovering God's Purpose Against all Odds is based on my life.  It is based on my disability called Apert Syndrome and what I have been through, in my life from the time my parent’s met until now.  I wanted to write it because I have had a lot of people in my life time me that I needed to write my story.  I believed that others needed to hear my story, so I fight that this would be another outlet for others to hear my story.  That is why I decided to write my autobiography so that other people can know my life story as well. 



What inspired you to become a minister?  
The biggest inspiration came from working with the youth at the church.  During my time working with the youth regardless of what I looked like, I was always accepted in the youth group.  Through the years of being in the youth group, and eventually becoming a leader with the youth, I enjoyed ministering to and being there for them, if they needed to talk.  Though God had a different plan for my life, even though I wanted to become a youth pastor, and youth ministry was my major at Bible College.  I started to realize that God was closing that door.  In February of 2007, I started traveling around giving my testimony. 



How did having Apert syndrome impact you growing up to now? 
It impacted me in a lot of different ways, both good and bad.  The good was while growing up, although I had to deal with a congenital disability, I had to learn to do things differently than other people.  I also realized that God had created me this way for a reason and a purpose.  I realized that I wanted to do my best with whatever it was that either myself or God had for me to do.  I never wanted my disability to stop me from achieving the goals, plans, that I set up for myself.  I knew that regardless of what I was dealing with, I wanted to show everyone else with a disability that you can surpass the limitations that people have put on you.  The bad ways that my disability affected me was, I was teased made fun of picked on, called monster and freak.  Being ridiculed not only happened from friends and people that I went to school with but also those that I knew in my neighborhood.  There were times in my life that I wanted to give up, or even end my life.  I sometimes wondered what I would be able to do if I would be able to do anything.  As you can see their’s two sides to this coin, it impacted me in both good and bad ways.  Though I have learned to deal with the bad, I realized that the good far outweigh the bad.    

How has having Apert Syndrome empowered you to help others?   
There are a lot of people that go through difficulties and situations in life.  Whether it be a spiritual issue, physical, mental emotional, and I learned that going around speaking, people are dealing with a lot of problems.  Some of these matters are the same ones that I went through.  Because of that, I can encourage them to continue in their life, and not to give up, or not feel defeated.  Most importantly I always point them to Christ.  Letting them know that God must be first in their life and that God will lead and guide them through the difficulties.  People have seen me, and have said wow, you're a walking miracle, wow you been through all that you dealt with, and are still smiling.  I just smile, because I realize that it encourages them to see someone go through all I have, still smile, and still be happy.  It helps them to understand that Dorsey can deal with all that he has, still laugh's, and still have the joy that he has, in the end, it’s s an encouragement to them. 


What is the main message that you want to share with others?  That with God all things are possible, and no matter what you are facing, or what you are going through, with Gods help you can make it.  That is why the title of my book is called Overcomer, I believe that I am an overcomer, and that is what I hope my message is to others.  That they as well can be overcomers in their lives.   

Where have you traveled to spread your message?

 I travel all over the country, I have been to several different states, including California, Indiana, Michigan, Louisiana, Virginia, and more.   Do you have any favorite memories from your travels? 

One of my favorite memories from my travels was when I went to California, and I spoke at a church there on a Sunday morning.  Though speaking there wasn’t the highlight of the weekend, but it was what happened the night before.  They had a prom night theme party for people with disabilities, and with me having a disability.  It was an awesome experience to see the church do something like that and to get to meet and see those that were their happy and dancing. 


Amazing! Where can people find you?
People can find me on Facebook, Twitter as @dorseyross and @Overcomerbook, and people can also buy my book on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and iBooks. 



Thank you, Dorsey Ross. You are a true inspiration!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Brad Green on the GenZ Podcast

Listen to this exciting GenZ Podcast interview with restauranteur, Brad Green. Learn more about Brad Green at MrBradGreen.com . Filed und...