Thursday, August 11, 2016

Play Dates

You know what I miss? Play dates.

There was just something so magical about coming
home from school with a friend’s mom’s phone number
tucked between my fingers, handing it to my mother, and
asking her to set up a special day for my friend and me.
I would sit there in front of my mom, bored, as I watched
her make small talk with the friend’s mom on the bisque
cordless phone. But then, she would get to the good part:
planning. The day, time, what snacks would be served, who
would drop the friend off…it was all in the details. I just had

to do one thing to make it happen: tidy up my room. I would
grovel the whole time, but it was always worth it.



The play date was an event. My friend would pull up,
our parents would chat while we ran to my room. I would
introduce the friend to each of my eight favorite stuffed
animals: Blue Teddy, Mousy, Tim, Honey, Sammy, Clifford,
Susan, and Franklin. Then, weather permitting, we would
go outside and play on the wooden swing set that my dad
put together. After that, we would reenact scenes from our
favorite shows: All That, The Amanda Show, Kenan and
Kel, and Drake and Josh. Although, I did have some friends
who would write original content with me, normally about
pretty princesses or brilliant spies, two things we strived to
be.

When it was time for the friend to go, we would beg for just
five minutes more. Normally, we would get fifteen more, but
it was never enough. When the friend left, I always wished
they hadn’t. Then, I’d see them in school the next day, and
we’d tell our whole class about all the fun stuff we did and
try to make everyone jealous.

But it doesn’t work like that anymore. Hanging out with a
friend now consists of a text. To which they reply, “Sure.”
It’s almost too easy. I often miss the days of the play date.

This selection originally appeared in my book "Notes Never Sent." 


There may not be playdates anymore, but there are still ways to find new friends. My friends at www.friendblink.com are here to help you find new friends online. Its called friendblink.com. Friendblink is a social network to help you make friends in your area based on the activities you enjoy. Maybe there is movie you would like to see, a coffee shop you would like to visit or a beach you'd like to visit on a hot summer day. Find a friend at: www.friendblink.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Brad Green on the GenZ Podcast

Listen to this exciting GenZ Podcast interview with restauranteur, Brad Green. Learn more about Brad Green at MrBradGreen.com . Filed und...