Wednesday, October 31, 2018

My Interview With Marybeth, Owner of 'Emmevielle.Etsy' Store

Q: Why did you decide to choose fashion designing as a career?
A: I chose fashion design as a career because of my love of fabric and possibilities! My mom taught me to sew at an early age and I was drawn in by the transformation of materials to a finished product; to me, it was nothing short of magic. Being able to take a project from concept to completion provided me with a satisfaction and happiness that no other career ever has. I have worn many hats in my life, but I always came back to sewing. Until about 10 years ago, I only created projects for pleasure - usually just for those people around me. When my daughter turned 4, I created a one of a kind winter coat for her (I really matched the spirit of the coat to her personality). At the time, so many passersby asked about the coat that I thought maybe I should do this for a wider audience.
Q: What according to you is a favorite part of being a fashion designer?
A: Over time, I began experimenting with recycled materials. At first, honestly, it was just because of the cost of raw materials. Then, it became an environmentally conscious choice. I really saw the beauty and potential in discarded materials. I was drawn to designing upcycled tops, dresses, and coats for women. Then the door opened to a whole host of creative possibilities. I love to thrift shop and unlock the potential of garments designed for some other purpose. Each week, it's like a creative treasure hunt and I seek out pieces that emit vibes. The spark of possibility feeds my soul. Fashion design is my passion; I live for the culmination of bringing together color, texture, and style.

Q: The designs you created are no doubt good enough, but who and which things were your inspiration while creating such designs?
A: I get my creativity from my own imagination. My imagination is, no doubt, somewhat influenced by what I see around me. I have seen some amazing talents on Etsy. Amber Studios and Broken Ghost (both shops on Etsy) create art which I admire. But, for the most part, I rely on what comes to mind and what I discover; sometimes, I let my mind wander just before I fall asleep thinking about projects -- it's wonderful what comes to mind when all other distractions are absent.
Q: What skills according to you are necessary for a successful fashion designer?
A: To be a successful fashion designer, one needs to put themselves out there. You must be willing to take a risk and say "I made this". It can be daunting, especially when you go really far out with new concepts. After all, people can hate it, right?! The risk is worth the reward when you get positive client feedback. 

Q: How Etsy has helped you get your designs seen by a large audience?
A: Etsy has really helped me to reach a large audience. Etsy is a wonderful marketplace which draws people in to hunt, find, and discover. I am forever grateful for the opportunity to reach people all over the world. The site really supports both buyers and sellers. 

Q: I always wonder that how do you stay up to date regarding fashion? There is so much happening in the industry.
A: I try to stay up to date with fashion by following other sellers and sites on Instagram and Etsy. There are certain things that I will always make, but I try to add new products along the way. Just recently I have started making overnight bags. I stay true to my aesthetic while keeping an eye on the future of the product line.

Q: What do you think about work ethics and what kind of ethics you believe in following while working with fashion?
A: I follow my conscience in my profession. While I see and admire others' work, I would never copy. Instead, I sit back and say 'That's terrific - I wish I had thought of it!). Traci Myers on Instagram.is the perfect example - she does amazing work and is incredibly creative. My operating principle is to be fair and original.

Q: Where can my followers find you?
A: You can find me at www.emmevielle.etsy.com and on Instagram @emmevielle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Brad Green on the GenZ Podcast

Listen to this exciting GenZ Podcast interview with restauranteur, Brad Green. Learn more about Brad Green at MrBradGreen.com . Filed und...