Friday, July 25, 2014

When Great Musicians Make Bad Songs

I have made many lists of my favorite musicians. My top 3 are always The Beatles, Jack White, and Led Zeppelin to give you an idea of the type of music that I consider real music. Yes, I have a 45 year old man's taste in music, what can I say?  I just can't get into the new "sounds" of  Nikki Minaj, Ariana Grande, or any of those pop types.  But sometimes, even musical geniuses make songs that, well...just aren't good.

Here are some of my least favorite songs by otherwise favorite musicians:
-Squeezebox, The Who.   I feel like a twelve year old wrote this, and not the brilliant minds that came up with songs like Love Reign O'er Me and My Generation.  I don't find it fun, funny, or clever.  If anything it's grossly cheesy and mindless.
-Adrian, Jewel.  I really admire Jewel for her songwriting ability, but this song seems more like a 7:03 rant.  It's a downer and is pretty unmemorable.
-My World, Guns 'N' Roses.  This song sounds more like something off an Insane Clown Posse album...a far cry from Sweet Child of Mine.

-The Show Must Go On.  So dramatic!  I have hated this song since I was 5 years old. It's a good thing Queen had so many great songs, or I'd probably have buried that CD.  This song is just so different from their really good stuff.  It sounds like something out of an off Broadway play about death that tries to evoke empathy, but really it's just annoying.
-Revolution 9, The Beatles.  My dad used to torture me by playing this in the car, because he knew how much I hated it.  It's like listening to someone's nightmare. Darn, Yoko!
-Alfie, Stevie Wonder.  There is something about Stevie's songs that they can always lift your mood.  Plus, he seems like a really awesome person (if the Howard Stern interview can be trusted).  But Alfie is just strange...kind of like a Wizard of Oz background song, but by Stevie.  That's an odd combo.  Next time you want to hear a song titled "Alfie," listen to Lily Allen's fun song about her brother.
-Thank U, Alanis Morissette.  Alanis sounds extra whiney in this one.  The sound is just off and there is no followable melody.  That's the funny thing about Alanis, her hits are amazing, but the rest...eh
-Aluminum, The White Stripes.  I hate to say anything bad about anything by The White Stripes or Jack White, because I am that obsessed with that music, but I have just never gotten Aluminum.  It is the only song on my iTunes by the White Stripes without 5 stars.  It always cracked me up that when you read the lyrics, they are simply, "Ah."  A far cry from the often thought-provoking lyrics of their other songs.

-Come On, The Hives.  I like The Hives for their fun, high energy songs, great to exercise to, but they outdid themselves with Come On, which is 1:08 of them yelling "Come On!" and one variation where they throw an "Everybody" in there.  I'd be able to be more forgiving, since this is the first song of their album, so it's something of an intro, BUT now this thoughtless song is being used in a commercial!
-Dear Diary, P!nk.  I think P!nk is awesome. She screams "girl power" and has some really amazing music, but this song off her 2001 album is just monotonous.  The lyrics are heartfelt, but that melody and arrangement really bring the song down.

-In the Mall, Weezer.  This song is off Raditude, which is by no means Weezer's best work, and this song is just the worst.  Honestly, it was almost as bad as listening to 1D...
-In the End, Green Day.  Maybe it's just me and my disdain for that super punk sound, but I feel like there are just too many instruments playing at once in this song.

Do your favorite musicians have any songs you can't stand?  Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Brad Green on the GenZ Podcast

Listen to this exciting GenZ Podcast interview with restauranteur, Brad Green. Learn more about Brad Green at MrBradGreen.com . Filed und...